This document will provide you with details regarding the various forms of leave covered under the Unit 7 Collective Agreement.

Health Benefits

If you are a member of Unit 7 and are employed for at least one term then you are eligible for coverage under the CUPE 3907 top-up benefit plan. The Plan Year runs from September 1st to August 31st. Plans are non-contributory (100% U of T paid).

Plan status and dependent eligibility is based on Student Plan enrollment each year. Unit 7 members do not need to do anything to enroll. You coverage will begin once Green Shield Canada (GSC) receives the information that you are eligible under your Unit 7 appointment. This will be late October/early November each year.

Eligible employees enrolled under the Student Plan will be eligible for coverage under the CUPE 3902 Unit 7 Health Care Plan A – Top-up + HCSA

  • You can access the most up-to-date Benefit Booklet online through your Green Shield Canada account.
  • The individual HCSA is worth $300/year. The Family HCSA has a value of $600/year.

Eligible employees who have opted out of the UTGSU plan will participate in the CUPE 3902 Unit 7 Health Care Plan B – HCSA-only Plan

  • You will only be eligible for coverage under the $300 HCSA-only Plan regardless of whether you have eligible spouse/partner or dependent children.

The Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) is like a bank account that you can use to pay for eligible health and dental expenses not fully covered by your group benefits plan or your provincial health plan. It also covers a wide range of health and dental expenses such as medical equipment, drugs and medications, eyeglasses, paramedical practitioners and orthodontic expenses, as well as co-payments or deductibles. This form, created by Green Shield Canada, shows eligible expenses under your Health Care Spending Account.

Health Benefits - Adding Dependents

In order for your dependent/s to be included in the Top-Up Plan, they must first be enrolled in your Student Plan. They will then be automatically enrolled in your CUPE Top-Up Plan if you are eligible.

To add your dependents to your Student Plan (in order for them to have access to the Top-up Plan), you must opt them in annually, at the beginning of the term you are first registered in. Visit Student Care to opt-in online during the periods below.

Fall: 1 September – 30 September

Winter: 1 January – 31 January

If you have the HCSA-only Plan you should contact Green Shield directly at 1-888-711-1119 to add your dependent/s.

Health Benefits - Important Forms and Websites

Top-Up Plan Benefits Booklet – You can find the most up-to-date benefits booklet by logging into your Green Shield Canada account. Your benefits booklet provides you with important information about your benefits plan. Top-Up Plan FAQ – have questions about your Top-Up Plan? Check here first for answers! HCSA Allowable Expenses – this form, created by Green Shield Canada, lists items/services that may (or may not) be charged to a HCSA, and under what circumstances certain expenses will be covered. Members are able to claim their Student Plan health and dental premiums through their HSCA account. See the Top-Up Plan FAQ to learn how to do this.

Financial Assistance Fund

Based on our 2018-2021 Collective Agreement, the Employer has agreed to pay an amount of $45,000 to continue the Financial Assistance Fund administered by the Union. This amount will be pro-rated between the 8-month employees and the 4-month employees. The Fund can only be used for the sole purpose of providing financial assistance, on an objective basis, to Unit 7 members.

Eligible Unit 7 members will be contacted via email with details on how to apply to benefits from the Financial Assistance Fund. Please contact for more information.

The Financial Assistance Fund will be distributed to applicants who apply in of the following categories:

Health Care Spending Account

CUPE 3902 will be reimbursing the costs of the Health Care Spending Account (HCSA) for eligible members who were part of both Unit 7 and Unit 1 bargaining units.

According to your collective agreement, the Unit 7 Health Care Plan shall be identical to the provisions of the Unit 1 Health Care Plan.

Furthermore, Schedule A states that, “An eligible employee who is also a member of CUPE 3902-Unit 1 shall only have health benefits under one Health Care Plan, as either the CUPE 3902-Unit 1 Health Care Plan, or CUPE 3907 [Unit 7] Health Care Plan”

University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) Rebate Fund

The amount of money you receive as a partial rebate for your UHIP fees will depend on the total amount of applicants and the number of single or family premiums paid.

In order to apply for a UHIP rebate you must be registered at OISE as an International Student. You must provide, with your application, a copy of your UHIP Card for the current Academic year and your ACORN Status.

Child Care Expense Fund

In order to apply for money from the Child Care Expense Fund you must provide proof of expenses which would be considered eligible under the Canada Revenue Guidelines for Child Care Expenses with your original application.

Eligible expenses will only include the following types of expenses:

  • caregivers providing child care services;
  • day nursery schools and daycare centres;
  • educational institutions, for the part of the fees that relate to child care services (you cannot claim the part of the fees that relate to education costs, such as tuition fees of a regular program or a sports study program)
  • day camps and day sports schools where the primary goal of the camp is to care for children (an institution offering a sports study program is not a sports school); or
  • boarding schools, overnight sports schools, or camps where lodging is involved

You cannot claim payments for medical or hospital care, clothing, or transportation costs. Also, you cannot claim fees paid for leisure or recreational activities, such as tennis lessons or the annual registration fees paid for Scouts.

The child must have been living with you. An eligible child is:

  • Under 16 years of age at some point during the period or was dependent on you due to mental or physical infirmities
  • Your child or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child; or 
  • a child who was dependent on you or your spouse or common-law partner, and whose net income in 2019 was $12,069 or less.
  • If you paid for child care services provided by an individual, the individual cannot be:
  • the child’s father or mother;
  • a person under 18 years of age who is related to you.

A person is related to you if he or she is connected to you by a blood relationship, marriage or common-law partnership, or adoption. For example, your brother, sister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, and your or your spouse’s or common-law partner’s child are related to you. However, your niece, nephew, aunt, and uncle are not.

Hardship Fund

Members may apply for financial assistance to deal with situations which are not claimed by the UHIP Rebate Fund or the Child Care Expense Fund. You must provide receipts or supporting documents for your claim.

  1. A brief written explanation outlining the circumstances of the expenses incurred, including why they were necessary. It is in your interest to provide receipts.
  2. Eligible expenses may include emergency expenses resulting from theft, fire, or similar unexpected events (e.g. travel due to sudden death in the family, sudden illness and hospitalization etc.).
  3. They may also include one-time expenses and documented short-falls or balances incurred in costs including vision, dental or health care which are not covered by the dental and health plan of the Graduate Students’ Union.
  4. A written budget demonstrating the need for assistance funds. Normally, this budget will be a breakdown of monthly income and expenses. Income should include not only your income from all sources, but if applicable, income which is part of your household income from a parent or spouse or other similar person.
  5. Expense items on the budget will reflect regular living expenses/bills, and may include expense categories such as:
  • Monthly Rent/Mortgage payments
  • Education (Tuition, Text Books, etc.)
  • Transportation (TTC, Gas, car maintenance etc.)
  • Food/Clothing
  • Entertainment
  • Credit Card/Loan Payments
  • Utilities (e.g. Hydro)
  • Phone
  • Cable& Internet
  • Childcare (Baby-sitting, Extra-curricular activities, etc.)
  • Other expenses (e.g. recurring prescription medication not fully covered by insurance, out of pocket (non-insurance covered) dental and eye care etc.)

How to Access Application Forms

During application periods, forms will be available online and accessible through the Member Portal. To find application forms, scroll up to the top right of the Union’s website.

If, during application periods, you do not see application forms on the Member Portal (under ‘Forms’), then you likely need to fill out a Membership Application Form (also found under the ‘Forms’ tab). When your membership application is processed, then the application forms for funds you may be eligible for will be accessible through the portal. PLEASE NOTE: processing of membership applications can take up to one hour.

If you do not know your Member ID number, which is required for fund and membership applications, you can find it in your CUPE 3902 newsletter footer at the bottom of the email, or by filling out this form in the Member Portal. For support, please contact