The Unit 3 Fund is a pool of $140,000 to be disbursed to eligible members to offset expenses incurred for (a) attendance at an academic or pedagogical conference, and (b) to offset expenses related to your teaching. Applications are processed and funds are disbursed three times a year, with more information on the page linked above.

Opens: late November 2022 (check for announcements in CUPE 3902 e-newsletter)
Closes: 31 August 2023
To apply: visit the Member Portal and select ‘Fund Applications’ under the ‘Forms’ tab.

Professional Expenses Reimbursement Account (PERA)

This is a pre-Union benefit that has been “grand-parented,” i.e. maintained for those who had it in the past.

Members who taught at least 1.5 courses in 2004-05 and who continue to do so are entitled to a PERA based on course-load. You can use this money for expenses related to conferences, travel between campuses, books, journals, professional memberships, etc.

For those members who have been teaching since 2005-06, you may be eligible to apply for the Unit 3 Fund. Details for this fund can be found in the Unit 3 Benefits Section.

Group RRSP

The GRRSP is an optional RRSP for any Unit 3 member who is not already enrolled in the U of T pension plan.

All members of Unit 3 who are not on the U of T Pension Plan are entitled to membership in a Group RRSP.  Members who enroll in the GRRSP will contribute five percent (5.0%) of eligible income, and a matching amount will be contributed by the Employer, except for members holding the rank or SLIII or WI-2 Priority, who will contribute six percent (6.0%), matched by the Employer. At the end of each academic year you have the choice either to leave the money in the GRRSP or transfer it out.

The enrollment form is available online. For more information regarding the GRRSP, please visit the U of T Benefits site.

You must drop off or mail in your enrolment form to: 
Central Benefits (GRRSP)
U of T Human Resources Dept
215 Huron Street – 8th floor
Toronto, M5S 1A2

Do NOT send the form to Manulife. There is no deadline for the applications to arrive.

If you are already enrolled in the Unit 3 Group RRSP and wish to use the option to withdraw/transfer funds from the plan, you may do so once per year between 1 September and 30 September of any given plan year. Please contact Manulife directly to make the transfer by phone at 1-800-242-1704.

Health Care Spending Account (HCSA)

The Unit 3 HCSA allows Sessional Lecturers and hourly-paid sessionals with at least 34 hours of work to be reimbursed for eligible medical expenses.

Effective upon ratification of the new Collective Agreement, hourly employees receive $500 for their first 34 hours of work and $350 for each additional 100 hours of work, to a maximum of $1,900 per plan year. Sessional Lecturers receive $500 for their first 1/6 FCE and $350 for each additional 0.5 FCE of work, to the same maximum of $1,900 per plan year. This information can be found on page 5 of the Memorandum of Agreement 2021-4, that amends and renews the expired Collective Agreement, 2017-21.

In order to begin using your HCSA, members of CUPE 3902 (Unit 3) must enroll by completing the Green Shield enrollment form. Enrollment must be completed during the plan year (Sept-Aug) in order to submit claims. Enrollment forms received after August 31 may not be honoured by the employer.

A Human Resources guide to completing the HCSA enrolment form is available online.  Bring or send the completed enrollment form NOT to Greenshield, but to the U of T Benefits Administration Office, at 215 Huron St, 8th floor (Toronto, M5S 1A2).

After you send your completed and signed form to the Benefits Administration Office, you should receive your subscriber card from Green Shield in the mail in about 6 weeks. Once you have received your card, you can start submitting claims to your HCSA.

Eligible expenses are those that qualify as a medical expense tax credit under the Income Tax Act, including prescription eyeglasses, dental expenses, medical devices and supplies, prescription drugs, and services of paramedical practitioners.  Claim forms can be found online.

Reimbursement from your HCSA is not taxable under current Income Tax Act rules. However, once you receive reimbursement for an eligible expense under your HCSA, you cannot also claim this expense as a medical expense tax credit on your tax return.

If you are already enrolled in a University of Toronto benefit plan, you are entitled to continue in that plan. In this case, you are NOT also allowed to participate in the Health Care Spending Account plan. Please check with your Department to ensure that your enrollment in the benefit plan is being continued.

HCSA Allowable Expenses – this form, created by Green Shield Canada, lists items/services that may (or may not) be charged to a HCSA, and under what circumstances certain expenses will be covered.

Leave under the Collective Agreement

Members in Unit 3 have access to an array of different leaves under the Collective Agreement. 

Employee & Family Assistance Plan (EFAP)

Members of CUPE 3902, Unit 3 have access to the University of Toronto’s Employee & Family Assistance Plan (EFAP).

The EFAP offers free confidential short-term counselling to employees and their dependents for personal, family, and work-related problems. You and your dependents can receive counselling and referral services related to concerns in the following areas:

1. Counselling

Within a supportive, confidential and caring environment you can receive counselling for any challenge:

  • Family
  • Depression
  • Marital / Life transitions / change
  • Relationships
  • Grief / bereavement
  • Addictions
  • Stress
  • Anxiety
  • Other personal issues

2. Plan Smart Lifestyle and Specialty Counselling

3. Online Resources

  • E-learning courses
  • Child and eldercare resource locators

For more information please visit the University’s EFAP website.

The Employee and Dependent Hardship Fund (EDHF), formerly the Employee and Dependent Special Circumstances Fund (EDSCF), is intended to address urgent special circumstances resulting in financial hardship for Unit 3 bargaining unit employees and their dependents, as a result of medical and non-medical needs. 

Administered wholly by CUPE 3902, the local has developed criteria and an application process for approval of claims and disbursement of funds. Furthermore, the Union will adjudicate and administer non-medical applications for assistance under the EDHF.