International Health Plan Assistance Fund (I.H.P.A.F.)

The International Health Plan Assistance Fund (I.H.P.A.F.) is for members who, because of their international status, must pay out-of-pocket for U.H.I.P. expenses for themselves, their spouse, or their dependent child(ren).

Who is eligible to apply to the fund?
For the February 2021 round of the I.H.P.A.F., anyone who meets the following criteria is eligible to apply: (a) You have secured at least 30 hours of Unit 1 work between 1 September 2020 to 31 August 2021. (b) You are an international member who paid U.H.I.P. fees out of pocket for yourself, your spouse, or your dependent child(ren) in the 2020-21 academic year.
What is an eligible expense?
U.H.I.P. fees for eligible members’ spouses and/or their dependent child(ren) are always eligible. U.H.I.P. fees for members themselves are only eligible if paid for out of pocket, that is, not covered by a funding package. All students in the funded cohort have their U.H.I.P. fees covered by the funding package with two exceptions: (1) Funding does not cover U.H.I.P. fees for those students in the funded cohort who are paying domestic tuition but are still on U.H.I.P; (2) Major external awards that fully replace funding packages and do not take U.H.I.P. into account (e.g., Vanier C.G.S. fully replaces funding, so members funded by a Vanier C.G.S. are eligible for I.H.P.A.F., whereas O.G.S. does not fully replace funding, so members funded by an O.G.S. are not eligible for the I.H.P.A.F). Members in such situations are eligible to claim their own U.H.I.P. premiums.
How much money will I get?
The fund reimburses eligible U.H.I.P. fees in full. In 2020-21, a full year of U.H.I.P. coverage cost $720 per person. The I.H.P.A.F. has been allocated $120,000 per year. If there are monies left over after the fund has reimbursed all eligible claims, the remainder of the monies will be reallocated to the U.S.A.F. for the same year.
When will I get my money?
Applications for this fund will be open between February 1 and February 28, 2021. Disbursements will follow by the end of the Winter Semester.
What if I lost my receipt?
If you lost your receipt for the coverage of your spouse/dependent, you can get it reprinted at the U.H.I.P. office at 33 St. George Street or you can email the UHIP office to ask for a digital copy.
How do I apply?
When the application opens on February 1, 2021, the form will be available online and accessible through the Union’s website. To find the application, login to the Member Portal (found by scrolling up to the top right of this page). A complete application for the I.H.P.A.F. will include: (a) the 2020-21 I.H.P.A.F. Application Form, and (b) supporting documentation—your ACORN Account Invoice showing you paid U.H.I.P. fees out of pocket in the 2020-21 academic year. Please note that if you are claiming fees for your spouse/dependent child(ren), the receipt(s) must show their full name(s) and period of coverage. You will receive an automatic confirmation email after submitting your application. PLEASE NOTE: if you do not receive a confirmation email you did not successfully submit your application. If you do not have (a) a membership card (i.e., you do not have a CUPE No., found on the left-hand side of the Portal home page), you will be directed to fill out a Membership Application Form (also found on the ‘Forms’ tab). When your membership application is processed, the 2020-21 I.H.P.A.F. Application Form will be accessible through the portal. PLEASE NOTE: processing membership applications can take up to four (4) business days. Failure to fill out a membership application in a timely way (i.e., less than five days before the deadline) is not grounds for submitting a late application.

Applications will be accepted between 1 – 28 February, 2021.