COVID-19 Emergency Fund (Apply by February 28)
The COVID-19 Emergency Fund is an ad hoc fund designed to bridge some of the gaps in existing government, university, and CUPE 3902 support, and, specifically, to benefit some of our members left most vulnerable in this pandemic–international students and workers, and members living in single-income households without social supports. The fund offsets increased expenses and/or decreased income due to the COVID-19 pandemic and related fallout for members in all units experiencing serious financial hardship. The fund period is between April 1 to December 31, 2020.
The monies allocated to the fund are drawn from the Faculty & Librarian Solidarity Fund and are available to members of all units.
Who is Eligible to Apply?
Anyone who meets the following criteria is eligible to apply:
- You secured at least 1 hour of CUPE 3902 work between January 1 and December 31, 2020;
- You have increased expenses and/or decreased income between April 1 and December 31, 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic;
- You and/or your partner/family/household are experiencing serious financial hardship.
What is an Eligible Expense?
Eligible expenses are urgent, serious, and directly follow on the COVID-19 pandemic and fallout; they include new or increased expenses and/or decreased income.
Examples of eligible expenses include:
- medical needs (including counselling etc.) not covered by healthcare plans;
- health supplies (e.g., supplements to support immune system, preventative medications, face masks)
- sanitizing materials (disinfecting solutions, wipes)
- support services (e.g., grocery and pharmacy deliveries for members in quarantine, transportation costs)
- international phone calls, wire transfer fees, etc.
- lost income not supported by CERB, EI, CESB, or any other forms of government aids
Ineligible expenses are not urgent, predate COVID-19, and/or can be offset by existing government, university, or CUPE 3902 supports.
Examples of ineligible claims:
- travel (covered by SGS supports)
- child care (covered by university supports, government supports, and CUPE 3902 funds)
- tuition assistance & funding top-ups (covered by CUPE 3902 funds)
- loan & debt payments (not urgent)
How Much Money Will I Get?
The fund has been allocated $31, 983 in total. There is a total $400 cap per person.
If the ask on the fund is more than $31, 983, the following constraints will limit individual disbursements (according to the order in which they appear):
- Disbursements for members who are in single-income households and without social supports will be prioritized;
- Disbursements for international students and workers will be prioritized;
- Disbursements for members of equity-seeking groups will be prioritized;
- Remaining disbursements will be prorated.
When Will I Get My Money?
Applications will be accepted between 1-28 February 2021.
Applications will be processed in the first two weeks of March 2021, and disbursements will follow as soon as possible thereafter and before the end of term.
How Will Disbursement Decisions Be Made?
Applications will be reviewed and eligibility decisions made by an ad hoc COVID-19 Emergency Fund review committee comprised of interested Executive Committee members, Stewards, and rank and file members.
Applications will be anonymous, except to the Chair of that review committee (either the Secretary-Treasurer or Chair of the Local, as available) and the Local’s Benefits Administrator.
How Do I Apply?
If you have worked 1+ hour between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2020, the application form will be available online and accessible through the Union’s website. To find the application, login to the Member Portal (found by scrolling up to the top right of this page), and select the “Forms” tab.
A complete application for the fund will include:
- Political membership – you must have signed a membership card or filled out a Membership Application Form. If you do not have a CUPE number (found on the left-hand side of the Portal home page), then you have yet to gain political membership. To do so, select the “Forms” tab and fill out the Membership Application Form. PLEASE NOTE: processing membership applications can take up to four (4) business days;
- The COVID-19 Emergency Fund Application Form;
- Supporting documentation – this documentation should include a statement outlining the need for which funding is being requested, and any other supporting documentation you may have (receipts, invoices, letters of support, etc.).
You will receive an automatic confirmation email for each application you submit. PLEASE NOTE: if you do not receive a conformation email, you did not successfully submit the application.