The International Health Plan Assistance Fund (IHPAF) is for members who, because of their international status, must pay for UHIP expenses for themselves, their spouse or their dependent child(ren).


Who is eligible to apply to the fund?

For the November round, anyone who has performed at least 30 hours of Unit 1 work between 1 September 2017 and 31 December 2017 is eligible to apply. For the May round, anyone who has, or will have, performed at least 30 hours of Unit 1 work between 1 September 2017 and 31 August 2018 is eligible to apply.

What is an eligible expense?

Only UHIP fees can be submitted to this fund. Any eligible member can submit UHIP fees for for their spouse and/or dependent child(ren) with a receipt. In order to submit your own UHIP fee, you must not have your UHIP fee covered by your funding package. Note that all students in a funded cohort have UHIP fees covered by the funding package with two exceptions: (1) Funding does not cover UHIP fees for those students in the funded cohort who are paying domestic tuition but are still on UHIP; (2) Major external awards that replace funding packages do not take UHIP into account. Members in such situations are eligible to claim their own UHIP premiums.

How does the disbursement work?

The IHPAF reimburses eligible UHIP expenses in full.

What if I lost my receipt?

If you lost your receipt for the coverage for your spouse/dependent, you can get it reprinted at the UHIP office.

How do I apply?

The form is online and accessible through the Union’s website each time the fund is open. A complete application for the IHPAF will include a: General Fund Application Form, an IHPAF Application Form and all supplemental documents.

To begin the process, please login to the Member Portal (found by scrolling up to the top right of this page). Login information for all members was sent by email — entitled “Welcome to CUPE 3902” for new members, or “New website and member-only portal” for existing members — to the account provided by the Employer (typically your or account). If you do not recall receiving this email, please search your inbox for it before contacting the Union with inquiries. The General Fund Application Form will be available under the ‘Forms’ tab to all card-carrying members of the Union while the application period is open.

If you attempt to access the General Fund Application Form and you are not a card-carrying member of the Union (i.e. you do not have a CUPE No., found on the left-hand side of the Portal home page), you will be directed to fill out a Membership Application Form (also found on the ‘Forms’ tab). When your membership application is processed, the General Fund Application Form will be accessible through the portal.

PLEASE NOTE: processing membership applications can take up to four (4) business days. Failure to fill out a membership application in a timely way (i.e. less than five days before the deadline) is not grounds for submitting a late application.

If you are a card-carrying member of the Union, please fill out the General Fund Application Form and verify the information we have on file. Click ‘next’, review the .pdf of your application and then ‘next’ again to proceed to the Fund Application Central page.

A link to the IHPAF Application Form is found on the Fund Application Central page. While the application period is open, clicking on any of the links will take you to the relevant fund you are applying for. Fill out the form and attach any supplemental documents requested. You will receive an immediate confirmation email for each application you submit; if you do not receive a confirmation email you did not successfully submit the application.

Applications for this fund are now being accepted. The deadline to submit and application is 11:59 pm on 30 November 2017.